Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ryan Dunn, RIP



It's been some time since his death but it still weighs heavy on my mind: RIP Ryan Dunn. Ryan Dunn died in a car crash - apparently driving drunk, definitely driving way too fast - on June 20, 2011.

It hurts. It was shocking. I love Jackass as much as anything.

Recently, by coincidence, a good friend asked me, "What's the last celebrity death that really shocked you?" Immediately I said, Ryan Dunn. He was surprised. "You were surprised one of THOSE guys died?"

I was. The morning I found out he died, it blew my mind. The Jackass guys have been doing it for so long that it's hard to believe that one of them bit the bullet - especially in their every day lives and not on the set pulling some outrageous stunt, but dying the way any one of us could go: foolishly and suddenly.

I love Jackass. Watching any episode of Jackass, any of the movies, anything involved with them I love unconditionally. I love those guys. I love what they did and the friendship between them. They provided me and so many others with such joy - a joy they shared with one another - that the loss of Ryan Dunn is akin to the loss of a friend. I did not know him, but the fact is that Ryan Dunn contributed to something that has made me laugh over and over and over again. That's enough for me. I see that as friendship. I see that as brotherhood.

RIP Ryan Dunn. We'll miss you.

PS - I am definitely more hungover than Dunn is in those two pictures at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment