Thursday, April 28, 2011

So Much To Do!

I was in a conversation with someone at a happy hour yesterday, and I started saying how there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do. Listen to music. Play music. Watch movies. Read books. Write. There isn't enough time! I work. I socialize. I'm always at a loss of how to use my spare time. An album or a movie? Write a sketch or song? I want it all.

But this person looked at me like I was crazy. Like they had too much time on their hands. "Man, I wish I had less time! I do too much!" I was flabbergasted. I thought for sure everyone was in the same predicament as I am. Apparently not.

Every day - right now, tonight, no different - there are 100 things to read, do, watch, listen to. I want to read The New Yorker (which I cancelled today due to lack of time and the guilt I always felt that I wasn't reading any of the articles - phew! what a relief I am not constantly reminded by the weekly issue that I am not reading it enough!); I want to watch a movie on Netflix, because I am paying for it and I want to see more movies and take advantage of this service I have; I download music every fucking second of the day and I want to listen to it all! But I can't. I can't do it all. I have to work and sleep and get drunk. So, in between, I have to sneak this shit in.

My point, I think, is that I am shocked that people don't feel this way. Shocked that a single person doesn't feel this way. Maybe other people are just like, Duh, there ain't enough time so I don't stress over it. Which is logical. And most of the time it doesn't really bother me. But sometimes I'm close to panic attacks, I swear. I got a Roberto Bolano tome next to me, thousands of movies at my fingertips, and tens of albums to listen to and revisit...So much to enjoy - and I'm not even touching upon the goals I want to meet! The songs and screenplays I want to write! The art to create!

I'll just truck along, it's no big thang. I was just shocked, like I said, that this person didn't quite understand this feeling, which I had assumed was a universal truth of the human condition because, I mean, look at all that shit out there!

Enough. Got some shit to do.

Dan is: Doin' shit.

2 comments:

  1. Had a nice, insightful comment, then I lost it because Blogger sucks (no offense)

    ReplyDelete