Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BEST MOVIES OF 2009

Here's a list of my favorite movies from 2009. A little late, but, hey, here it is!

Some of these movies could prob slide a few spots up or down - except for Basterds which is unquestionably my fav from 2009.

1) Inglorious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino - His best since Jackie Brown. In many ways, this may be Tarantino's finest film, where all of his skills as a director and writer come together to form a film so unique and impeccably executed - the movie as a fucking tour de force, damn it! Everything works. There are scenes of extreme beauty and precision, and even though the film is talky in 5 different languages, none of it seems forced or overlong. It just may be his mastehrpiece.

2) The Hurt Locker - Kathryn Bigelow - This film takes place during the Iraq War but it's not really a war film. It's a people film! It's about how people cope with war and all that jazz, and that, along with a great story, action, and acting - not to mention suspense! - make for a film that has it all. To me, this is a film that should appeal to everyone who is human, and that's spoken like a true wild man.

3) A Serious Man - Coen Brothers - Liked it better than No Country for Old Men, but I was never too hot on that one anyway. That said, I dug this movie because, as you all know, the Coens got the best style around. A Serious Man was EXTREMELY well acted (Oscar nom. for Michael Stahlberg - gotta be) and EXTREMELY well directed. I have never seen a movie that conveyed how it feels to be high better than this movie. That counts for something. And it was probably the funniest movie I've seen this past year, but - the genius part? - the movie made me think about what it means to appreciate, and how those who sometimes try so hard to do the right thing still get no respect.

4) Avatar - The King of the World - I think most people really like this movie, but I've definitely heard from a bunch of people that it was less "Avatar" than "Gayvatar," mostly due to a "stupid science fiction story" and "it's just like Dances With Wolves only not as good!" Well, I haven't seen DWW but I guarantee that it is a snooze fest. As for Avatar's story? I enjoyed that it was a simple, timeless, classic. Foremost, the movie's about the 3D deliciousness and the technology and the thrillz - BUT The King of the World managed to make this an emotionally resonant film. I cared for these characters and was invested in their fate the entire 160 minutes or so of the movie.

And in terms of Avatar being the ultimate movie experience [NOTE: This means seeing it in the theater, in 3D, not at home on the 27 inch plasma] there is no film that matches it, period. Yes, the dialogue is clunky at times (part of the charm, I'd argue) and, sure, the character development isn't "believable" at times, but when you think of all those great popcorn movies of the past - think most Speilberg, Star Wars, etc. - this is the perfection of the art. Not convinced: LOOK AT THE WORLD WIDE BOX OFFICE, the second time The King of the World has done this. Sometimes box office success means diddly, but for Avatar I'd argue that, Hey, millions of people can't be wrong.

5) District 9 - Neill Blomkamp - I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie. My heart was racing. I'm not saying this hyperbolic-ly. It was racing. This was a unique movie in that it managed to be so many things. I loved the quasi-documentary style; I loved Sharlto Copely, who gave one of the year's finest performances. There was humor, there was heart, there were explosions and melodrama. I didn't mind the allegorical parallels! What sticks is the entire conceit of the movie. It's an original. It's derivitive to a degree, yes, of course, but the relationship between alien and human (HUMAN AND ALIEN????) was unlike any other of this kind that I have seen or read. And Sharlto Copely keeps us emotionally involved during the entire movie. The scene where he's about to be operated on? Maybe the best scene of the year.

6) Adventureland - Greg Mottola - Suprising? Maybe. But it's just such a true film. If you thought that Superbad was an "accurate" teen comedy, than you've gotta see this one cuz it takes it to the next level (both were directed by Greg Mottolla, btw) . I mean, Superbad was a comedy so it couldn't be THAT authentic or else we wouldn't have laughed so hard. But Adventureland is a movie that has funny moments, just like life. I'm kind of a sucker for a coming of age story - which is exactly what Adventureland is - but this one was done really well, with a stellar cast (Kristen Stewart bites her lip to perfection!), with humility, grace, and an eye for reality and truth. I can relate. Maybe it's cuz I've been to the actual Adventureland that this movie is based on - no. Doesn't matter. Mottola has made a universal movie with this one, I think.

7) The Hangover - Todd Phillips - Funniest movie of the year. Oh wait, did I say A Serious Man was funniest? Fuck it, I don't care. They're both the funniest. Todd Phillips is clearly the master: Road Trip, Old School, The Hangover. Three comedy classics.

8) Public Enemies - Michael "The" Mann - I feel that sometimes a Mann movie is less enjoyable to watch than to appreciate afterward. They're so life-like, so detailed, that's it's almost like you're not entertained because it's so real. That's KINDA how I felt after this one, though I certainly was entertained by it, what with the explosive shoot outs. But during the drive home; sitting down and talking about it; thinking about it; you realize that Mann makes movies like no one else. I'm a big fan of the hyper-realism and I wish more directors strove towards something similar to what Mann is doing. I think there'd be a lot of good films.

9) Where the Wild Things Are - Spike Jonze - This movie moved me, good flick. Was I let down a little? Yeah, I guess so. But Jonze has a singular vision, and the wild things themselves were flawlessly executed. Flaw: the movie was too short, and I believe the studios made Spike trim it down so it would be a tighter, more commercial film. We'll see when the DVD gets out. Maybe WTWTA gets even better when all the little details are included.

10) The Invention of Lying - Very funny movie. Very Gervais. Quirky. Weird. A bit off putting. And it also addresses...religion and god! If you didn't think it was for you, try it. I think you'll find something to like about it.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Paranormal Activity was awesome I thought. Truly spooky. And Up was good as well. Nice film.

NOTE: Fall asleep during Fantastic Mr. Fox because I was drunk. Don't remember the movie. Wish I did. Alas, I still haven't "seen" it.

No comments:

Post a Comment