Monday, January 25, 2010

Vampire Weekend & An Aside About Hipsters

I think ur a contra.

I've been listening to a lot of Contra, Vampire Weekend's sophomore LP. I'd say it's album of the decade thus far!

Seriously though, an amazingly good album. VW manages to be entirely unique while remaining popular to a large audience. I LOVE THIS. That's a big thing for me, artists who are able to push musical boundaries, take their music to a new level, and stay relevant and popular for a large audience. Love it. Love it, love it, love it.

So let's face it. Pop music rules. Pop: you know, what's nominated for the main awards at the Grammys. That's what most people listen to; it's basically the only shit played on the radio and you'll hear it at a bar mitzvah.

Well, VW were Billboard number one. FANTASTIC. I can't wait for some dweedie indie fuck to put them down for that -- I WILL DEMOLISH THEM. Have they heard this album? This is a daring album. They are conventional without being conventional. That's what I think. I may be going a little crazy with this, granted. But you won't hear an opener like "Horchata" and a closer like "I Think Ur a Contra" on a Billboard #1 again for a long time.

If I were an artist right now, I'd be Vampire Weekend. They are writing amazing songs - have been for two albums - and are MAKING A SHIT TON OF MONEY WITHOUT COMPROMISING THEIR ART. Love it, love i,t love it. AND they're doing it on their own terms. There's no one else like them, nowadays.

Anyone who isn't sold: listen to the whole album! Haha...! Well, yes, that's true. But, specifically listen to track ten, "I Think Ur a Contra". It is a beautiful song full of resonant lyrics about what it means to be in love with someone who you think just might be a contra. Listen to it. The music is just so, so soft, spare, and textured; it makes me want to float away on it honestly, aka, the gayest thing I've ever written. If you can't make your way through the album for some reason: I once read a musician say that if he's having trouble with an album he'll skip to the last track and see where it all leads. Then, sometimes, the rest of the album makes sense. [Not necessarily a preferable tactic, but an ends to a means.]

Lastly, I would just like to say that "hipster" is thrown around way too much these days. For me, a hipster is someone who doesn't have their own identity. A person who, when you talk to them, when you look at them and see how their clothing, hair, shoes, taste, the words that come out of their mouth...something doesn't match up. Something is forced. Something in your brain goes off and you you think, Damn, what a gay. But a hipster is just that. Someone who isn't a real person, not a real man, not a real woman. I prefer dudes, dweebs, fags, losers, scumbags, douchebags, nerds, ASSHOLES, idiots, morons, peens, dunces, pinheads, lame-asses, gaywads, dickweeds, assdicks, jerkasses, fuckheads, dimwits, nerfherders, peenwans, dorks, dicks, dolts, drunks, potheads, wastecases, and all the rest because anyone called these things most likely would deny they are just that and there are TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE WHO REVEL IN BEING A HIPSTER. Fuck that.

No comments:

Post a Comment