Friday, March 26, 2010

Some Albums I Listened to Today

Albums I listened to in their entirety today while @ work (in order of listen):

Phrazes for the Young - Julian Casablancas

Transference - Spoon

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon

Weird Era Cont. - Deerhunter

Sisterworld - Liars

My Aim Is True - Elvis Costello

Imagine - John Lennon

No Depression - Uncle Tupelo

Parklife - Blur

Clubland - Elvis Costello & the Attractions

I'd say the Costello hit the spot best. I haven't listened to that album straight through in a while. Plus, I'd never listened to the bonus tracks and they're all very fine. Great acoustic version of "Lip Service".

Spoon, as I always say, have great songs but their albums tend to drag/have some weak links. Transference may be their most cohesive album. I enjoy it as a whole possibly more than I do any individual song. I can't say the same of Ga; the latter half isn't too memorable. I also find, with Spoon, that the sound can be a little wearing, annoying - too perfect and concise, even the rough moments. Brit Daniel's voice - which I love - can get on the nerves a little bit during the course of an album. Still, they write some pop gems, and they're masters in the studio, getting that lean, minimal sound. To me, they've always sounded like a Spoon.

The Casablancas album is straight up good. And I think it's in the class of music that is both totally weird and different while still appealing to a large audience. My favorite kind!

Imagine, always a great listen. And a strange album! It's weird stuff, if you think about it, and heavy. "I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier" - that's intense. Imagine may not be as emotionally intense as Plastic Ono Band, but it certainly has its fair share of bitterness and anger. I would say that musically, it's stranger and more polarizing. And today I realized: the guy starts the album with "Imagine"? That's not what you'd call a classic opener. More like a closer, and "Oh Yoko!" is more like an opener. But that's the genius of Lennon going on there. He knows what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment