Wednesday, September 23, 2009

2000s: Music & Me


2000s: Music and Me

(what a fucking picture...taken December 2004 - 18 years old, so impressionable)


Music. It's been pretty good for the last ten years, during the 2000s, or the Naughties, and it was during this time that I really started to become interested in music. Finding it, listening to it, buying it, stealing it, paying for three songs on iTunes...My musical tastes were shaped during these years. I went from Dave Matthews Band all the way to Joanna Newsom (and sometimes back again!) during this time, and boy, what a ride!

There's a period in a life where music has the greatest effect on you. Those impressionable ages - I'd say 13 (Mazel tov!) to, oh, I don't know, 20, 21...basically until the end of college - when music really seeps inside of you, into your soul. It happened to my parents - and god knows how many other Baby Boomer types - with the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc. I know my parent's interest, or should I say passion, for music is centered on these few years. They listen to a lot of stuff, but mostly they like what they liked when they were these ages. It's what they always return to, for enjoyment and comfort.

I know I'm just out of this age range, but I do feel out of it. For better or worse (better), my tastes and preferences for music were shaped during this past decade, 13-21 years old. But it wasn't really shaped by the music from the 2000s, though there are certainly albums and songs that have. I was toying around with the idea of doing the twenty best albums of the past ten years and it just wasn't fulfilling enough (hey, if pitchfork.com is doing something like this, I gotta do it!). I'll prob compile a top 20 just for the hell of it mad soon, but I kind of wanna spend a few posts talking about key musical moments for me that occurred during the 2000s, more or less that period of time I was talking about just before. It could be an album or song from any time period, as long as I discovered it or it affected me greatly in the 00s. I'll include other musical moments, too, such as concerts, jam sessions, a song that was playing at a party one night, a conversation with somebody, a mix...

So I'll talk about the music and what was going on in my life, how the music shaped certain times, all that kind of stuff. I may go chronologically, I may not (I think I may).

OK, I'll start shooting some stuff out, maybe later today, maybe tomorrow, who knows? Just hopefully not in the 2010s!

No comments:

Post a Comment