Saturday, September 19, 2009

THE BEST SONG EVER

"Second Hand News," Fleetwood Mac. The Best Ever. This is the song that makes me tick. This song makes me want to live another day. All it takes is the scratched electric guitar in the intro. All it takes is Lindsey Buckingham singing, "I know there's nothing to say/Someone has taken my place," and I melt into place, waiting for the rest my life. It's perfect - it's who I am.

"When times go bad/When times go rough/Won't you lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff?" That's a fucking question, and what a question it is. Oh my, what else can you ask? Why breathe if you can't ask this? Where else would you lay me? WHERE ARE YOU GONNA LAY ME? I've been in hard places, places where I am by myself, where there's nothing but love and the cool side of a pillow to answer your stupid questions, so here, here I am, the song that is me, Danny Grgas.

I've felt a lot of songs - "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Summer Babe," "Oh! Sweet Nuthin" - and this song is it, it makes me wanna live another day. It radiates within me. It is everything I've ever felt. I love, and this song is love to me. I can be because of "Second Hand News".

Thank you, Lindsey Buckingham. Thank you for Rumours. Thank you - thank you - for Tusk. Thank you for creating the greatest songs - "Second Hand News," "Not That Funny," "Ledge"- songs of hope and despair; songs of love and madness; songs of blind insanity, and the manic insecurity that comes when all of your screws fall out of your head. You are my friend and hero, because your songs are me.

Thank you, I'm just second hand news,

-Danny Grgas

No comments:

Post a Comment